- There are only about 110 calories in one banana but they contain heaps of fibre, which keeps us regular and can prevent over-eating habits (also great for stopping constipation).
- Bananas contain a lot of potassium, which can lower blood pressure. This can mean you’re less likely to have a stroke or a heart attack.
- People who eat a salty diet can be victim to losing calcium through urine, which is bad for our bones. Potassium strengthens our bones by neutralising the amount of sodium (salt) in our diet.
- Bananas activate the creation of mucus in our stomachs, which can defend against stomach acids.
- The Internal Journal of Cancer conducted a study that showed the chance of getting kidney cancer is reduced by eating lots of fruit and vegetables – but mainly bananas. They discovered that women who ate bananas 4-6 times each week had 50% less chance of getting kidney cancer than those that did not eat bananas at all! Incredible!
- Amazingly, bananas can reduce stress levels and symptoms of depression.
- Bananas can reduce menstrual pains as they are full of Vitamin B6, which regulates blood glucose levels.
- Bananas contain iron – ideal for anyone who’s slightly anaemic and doesn’t want to take an iron supplement!
- Potassium in bananas can help increase ‘brain power’ and mental aptitude.
Do you have any other tried and tested banana benefits?
If you’re not keen on eating a raw banana, why not try out this delicious banana loaf recipe on the Good Food website!